Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Goals

It's been a while eh? I haven't been posting because my focus has been elsewhere, but we'll get to that in a moment.

Hope everyone out there in the Blogospehere is well. Happy New Year. With every new year comes resolutions and dreams of becoming a better individual.

This year, I made no resolutions. Zilch. Nil. Zippo. Which brings me back to why I've been so busy.

Since about August of last year, I've been running. Consistently. I've done a few 10K's but more importantly, I signed up for the LA Marathon coming up this March.

26.2 grueling, will breaking, soul crushing, energy sapping, miles through scenic LA. This year's course is just too beautiful to pass up and its the first time this course has been done. It's the Stadium to the Sea that starts at Dodger's Stadium and meanders it's way through downtown, Silverlake, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Century City, and Finally ends in lovely Santa Monica at the Pier.

Since I made that commitment to run 26.2 miles in a single sitting, I've been running my ass off. This past weekend I completed a half marathon in under 2 hours and this weekend I will be putting in another 18 miles at Bonelli Park just outside of LA.

It's quite a wonderful feeling to be able to push yourself physically and mentally farther than you realized was possible but it's not an easy thing to do. You don't just wake up one and do it.

It's more about waking up multiple days, and everyone of those days, saying you 'have' to do it, because if you don't you wont make your goal. You won't be ready for that race, that competition, you'll fall behind in your running group, your weight loss plan. Whatever it is you're trying to accomplish physically, you will have to set yourself up mentally.

And that mental aspect is more than just saying you will commit to getting into shape. Countless people say they will do but few will hold themselves accountable for their results. It's always a lack of time, or work, or the kids, or family. But YOU must make the time. For me, there's nothing like the taste of competition to fuel that fire. One of the biggest motivators for me was a training partner. He's a competitive guy, I'm a competitive guy. No one wants to be the fat guy that week. No one wants to be the slow one on the training run. No one wants to be the one to skip the workout.

Work beckons so I will have to cut this post short. If you want to succeed, get a determined, committed and competitive workout partner. This will help you push pass those performance plateaus and get you on your way to a 'new and better' you. Whatever that means.

1 comment:

  1. I am "that fat guy" of the century! You inspire me to..at the least, go outside and ride my Razor Scooter. Keep on truckin'. TEAM SANDWICH!

    ReplyDelete